How the Tenement Changed--Water

The kitchen sink in the Confino apartment
Showing Picture 6 of 8
Back Next

Running water was installed in 97 Orchard Street some time around 1895, allowing families to access water in their own apartments for the very first time.

All of 97 Orchard Streetís apartments were cold water flats; after gas was installed around 1905, residents could purchase individual, gas-powered water heaters, which warmed limited amounts of water for bathing or washing.

Josephine Baldizzi recalls owning such a heater by the time she and her family lived at 97 Orchard Street in the 1930s.