How the Building Changed

The gas line on the 4th floor of 97 Orchard Street
Showing Picture 8 of 8
Back Next

By 1905 gas had been installed at 97 Orchard Street. However, a coal stove was still the residentsí main source of heat.

As late as the 1930s, when 97 Orchard Street closed as a residence, few tenement buildings had central steam heating.