Training and Resources
The Museum’s anti-racism commitments call on us to adopt straightforward language about race and white supremacy with the aid of a language guide, and provide training for staff and board. In previous years, the Museum has held trainings that addressed race, identity, diversity, inclusion, and interpersonal communications. However, in almost every case, there was not sustained follow-up to continue the conversation to support their implementation into the Museum’s working culture. This Working Group will build a system to implement and sustain training and access to supportive resources necessary to be an anti-racist museum. Thus far we have:
- Adopted an institutional language guide
- Hosted trainings to support institution-wide implementation of the language guide
- Started to compile resources on anti-racism, museums and equity, and scholarship by and about Black, Indigenous, and People of Color
The long-term goals of this Working Group is to ensuring we have a shared understanding of, and commitment to, anti-racism across all levels of the organization; to support the staff’s use of language by revising the language guide as new language comes into use and updating staff on a quarterly basis; and integrating training on anti-racism and language in the onboarding process with the Equitable Hiring and Retention Working Group.
Below, we will update every three months with steps we’ve taken and milestones we’ve reached towards achieving these goals.
- Opened up our working group meeting to all staff and welcomed some new attendees
- Hosted a Tenement Talk De-Brief Meeting on incorporating Native histories and 20 people from different departments joined
- Identified a platform for the home of the virtual resource library and continued to collect resources
- Shared a language guide with staff and provided space for discussion and questions
- Established a plan for internal trainings that help us all uphold the anti-racism commitments
- Created a virtual reference library of anti-racism resources for staff