Shop Sales Associate
Work Schedule: Friday/Saturday
Salary: $17.50 an hour
This is a Unionized Position
General Summary: The Shop Associate will become well-versed in all museum programs, tours, and events as well as shop merchandise; both books and gifts. Sales Associates spend the majority of their time on the sales floor and prioritize a visitor-first focus by actively engaging customers in the shop. They will operate both Retail Pro and Ticketure; this includes ringing up shop sales, performing inventory counts and selling tickets.
- Daily Tasks: Open and/or close the shop, process Retail Pro purchases and returns, handle cash according to established procedures. Actively seeks new challenges and increased responsibility.
- Familiarity with Merchandise: Take an active role in becoming knowledgeable in both the book and gift merchandise by being curious about the inventory.
- Selling Merchandise: Become confident in hand selling merchandise off of the sales floor. Engage customers in order to make book and gift recommendations. Answering phone requests about inventory in the shop. Fulfilling web orders when necessary.
- Maintaining Sales Floor: Work with buyers to maintain the sales floor by straightening, organizing, cleaning, and restocking merchandise throughout the day and at end of shift. Have a strong sense of shop identity and editorial statement; able to place merchandise to support the themes and narratives present in the shop.
- Assist in Inventory Management: Track sales of merchandise and take cycle counts throughout the year. Participate in the annual inventory.
- Support the Visitor Services team: Act as a resource on product information as well as information about the Tenement Museum. Have broad understanding of museum programs and be able to sell tours and programs. Assist in managing floor traffic and direct visitors to Museum facilities. Be knowledgeable of the neighborhood and be able to make recommendations to visitors on restaurants and attractions.
- Exemplifying professional and ethical behaviors; follow all Tenement Museum policy and procedures
- An Interest/passion for reading and books, especially those related to New York History and immigration.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and strong customer service skills required.
- This is a physically demanding position requiring frequent lifting and carrying of cartons and books. It also demands standing much of the time.
How to Apply:
Please submit the following required documents (1) a cover letter (2) a list of your three favorite stores to shop at and why; and (3) your resume (all in either PDF or .doc form) via our career portal.